Other Articles from Wayua Mutisya
Weaning Recipe: Sweet Potato and Butternut Puree
This recipe is simple, straightforward and nutritious. You can make it in bulk and freeze for future meals. It will depend on the amount your baby consumes in one feeding.
The ingredients are locally available and cheap too. They include;
- 1 medium sized sweet potato. Sweet potatoes are a very nutritious and delicious first choice food for baby. They are high in vitamin A, potassium, calcium and folate. They also contain high amounts of fibre meaning that baby won’t suffer from constipation.
- 1 medium sized butternut.
- 1 scoop of margarine. ( I recommend Blueband margarine with Omega 3 and 6). You can adjust the amount as you prefer.
- Half a cup of milk, preferably breastmilk. Using breast milk will ensure that the baby has at least one familiar taste in the food.
- Wash the butternut and sweet potato thoroughly.
- Scoop the butternut out of its skin and chop into pieces.
- Steam the butternut and sweet potato until soft. Test with a fork to be sure.
- Let the pieces cool. Peel the sweet potato.
- Add in the Blueband for some flavour.
- Add in the milk and blend the mixture until soft and consistent.
- Separate into different containers or ice-cube trays and freeze what you won’t use immediately.
- Let the baby enjoy!
As your baby gets older you can play around with the ingredients to make different variations of this meal. Once your baby is closer to 9 months mix in some onions, garlic and ginger, parsley and other healthy spices to give it a tasty and nutritious kick. Whatever version you give her, hopefully her face won’t look like this: