Other Articles from Joan Thatiah
New Mum Glossary : Pregnancy and Birth Lingo
When you get pregnant you realise there is a whole new language out there that you couldn’t imagine existed. We’ve broken it down for you simply so you can understand this Pregnancy lingo. We’ve got you covered FTM (first time mum, if you didn’t know that one yet)!
AND – Any day now
AC – Assisted conception
AC – Abdominal circumference
AF – Aunt Flo (Menstrual period)
BC – Birth control
BD – Baby dace (sex)
BCPS – Birth control pills
BBT – Basal body temperature
BFN – Big fat Negative (pregnancy test)
BFP – Big fat positive (Pregnancy test)
BMI – Body Mass Index
CD – Cycle day
Circ. – Circumcise
CS – Caesarean section
DH – Dear husband
DS – Dear son
DD – Dear daughter
DPO – Days past ovulation
DTD – Doing the deed (Sex)
EBF – Exclusive breast feeding/ Extended breast feeding
EDD- Estimated date of Delivery
EP – Ectopic pregnancy
EPT – Early pregnancy test
ET – Embryo transfer
FET – Frozen embryo transfer
FH – Fetal heart
FM – Fertility monitor
FMU – First morning urine
FTM – First time Mum
GD – Gestational diabetes
GP – General practitioner
HTH – Hope this helps
HSG – Hysteroscopy
IC – Incompetent cervix
IUI – Intrauterine insemination
INF – Infertility
IVF – In Vitro fertilization
LAM – Lactational amenorrhea
LO – little one
LSP – low sperm count
MC – Miscarriage
ML – Maternity leave
NFP – Natural family planning
O – Ovulation
OC – Oral contraceptives
OTC – Over the counter
PG – Pregnant
PND – Postnatal depression
SB – Still Birth
TIA – Thanks in advance
TTC – Trying to conceive
TR- Tubal reversal
US – Ultra sound
VBAC – Vaginal birth after caesarian
VE – Vaginal examination
VR – Vasectomy reversal
WM- Working mum
Important medical terms
Tips for pregnancy: You should familiarize yourself with these terms as you are likely to come across them during your pregnancy.
- Abortion also referred to as Spontaneous abortion refers to a pregnancy that terminates before 24weeks.
- Aminiotomy is the artificial rapturing of the amniotic sac.
- Antepartum hemorrhage refers to any bleeding that a pregnant woman experiences before birth.
- Birth plan is a way for a soon to be mother to communicate her birth wishes. Who she would like present, type of birth and labor she would like and what should be avoided.
- Bloody show refers to a reddish or brownish discharge that appears at the onset of labor.
- Braxton Hicks Contractions are false or practice contractions experienced by some women.
- Breech presentation – This is when a baby is lying feet or bottom down in the womb.
- Doula a professionally trained labor and birth attendant to offer coping techniques. They do not offer medical care.
- Ectopic pregnancy refers to a pregnancy that is developing in another part of the reproductive system that isn’t the uterus. It could be that it is lodged in the fallopian tubes.
- Endometrium is the lining of the uterus
- Epidural is pain medicine administered during labor
- Episiotomy is cutting of space between vagina and anus to ease birth.
- Lactational amenorrhea means natural infertility a woman experiences while breast feeding.
- Luteinizing hormone – A hormone produced by cells in the anterior pituitary glands. A spike in its volume triggers ovulation.
- Multigravida is a woman who has been pregnant more than once
- Meconium is the baby’s first stool
- Multipara is a woman who has already given birth at least once
- Singleton is a single fetus in the womb.
For more about pregnancy you can check out our website. We have so much that you would love from: articles, business that are just for mums and kids, doctors and specialists, experiences from other mums. Just click Here and join the Village!