Mums are always looking for child-friendly places to go with their children that provide baby changing stations, play areas, high chairs, and kiddie menus.
MumsVillage conducted a survey of child-friendly establishments in Nairobi and the 4 Big Winners were Java, Planet Yoghurt, Artcaffe, and (wait for it……) Gertrudes!. We have also rounded up a list of neighborhood-specific establishments to get you started.
Kilimani & Lavington:
- Under the Radar could quite just be Nairobi’s best-kept secret. It is one of the best kid-friendly places in Nairobi and an amazing birthday venue for your child. It has a big outdoor space that is well-equipped for children and is sure to keep them entertained all day long. It is located along Argwings Kodhek Road and can be easily accessed via public transportation.
- Mama Ashanti Restaurant is the perfect start if you want to introduce your child to the West African Cuisine. It has reasonable prices and the portions are worth it with great outdoor space perfect for kids.
- Mama Rocks is perfect for those juicy burgers gourmet urgers which are Afrinac inspired and yummy sweet potato fries. Thre meals are served in cool afro trucks which are bound to be a hit with the kids. The restaurant also has branches in Westlands, Karen and Rosslyn Riviera Mall
- Pallet Cafe is an amazing restaurant with special support for the special needs community. You will find that some of the waiters and waitresses have hearing impairments or are deaf. This will get the kids on in supporting a great cause. The set-up is very elegant and is the perfect place for you and the kids to learn a little sign language They also have a great kids menu.
- Mambo Italia is also at Lavington Curve Mall
- Valley Arcade is home to restaurants like Galitos Kenya and Java which has been mentioned as baby-friendly by most Nairobi Mums
- Adams Arcade has a variety of restaurants like Java and Snack Attack, famous for its’ “Angry Chicken Burger”
Is your toddler a fussy feeder? This Tinga Tinga with Hippo Illustrations captures your child’s attention making easier feeding times and is now available at The MumsVillageShop. Buy Now.
- Dari Restaurant is located next to the Africa Wildlife Foundation in Karen and offers great scenery for outdoor family di ing. It has well-manicured lawns perfect for a family picnic which can be arranged by the restaurant and a to die for menu!
- The Hub at Karen has so much to offer the kids that can’t be summarised into one sentence. Our CEO, Isis Nyong’o, had a chance to visit the breathtaking mall and shared her thoughts here. From the kid-sized toilets to the stroller-friendly large pathways, and family-friendly eateries, you won’t lack anything at this well-thought-out child-friendly establishment.
- Asmara Karen is a new Eritrean/Ethiopian restaurant that opened up recently in 2017. It has an amazing kids play area and ample space to host a kids party, go for a date with your partner and have a corporate lunch.
- Domino’s Pizza: At Domino’s Pizza, any dine-in guest with a kid under the age of 6 years, the kid gets to eat for free. This means you won’t have to worry about paying for your toddler’s meal!
- Talisman Restaurant gives off a very homely feeling and is a great place for kids. It’s located right after the Karen Shopping Centre with a menu that is very family-friendly. The cuisines are all international and the restaurant has taken some very environmental-friendly measures like using beautiful bamboo straws that your child will definitely love using.
The Match it foods puzzle makes eating out easier. It keeps children preoccupied and entertained before the order arrives. Shop Now at The MumsVillageShop.
- Castle Garden located along Garden Estate road, 1 kilometer off Thika superhighway Exit 7, offers a quiet, fun, and inviting ambiance with airy and spacious gardens perfect for outdoor family dining
- Thika Road Mall is an amazing place for a fun weekend hangout with the kids. It contains eateries such as Java House, Galitos Chicken, Pizza Inn, and several more with family menus, toy stores and a wholesome family entertainment center.
- Play City at Mountain Mall on Thika Road features bumper cars, video games, kiddy rides, giants bouncy castles and trampoline, a 3 level soft play with slides, monkey bars, ball ponds, and swings.
- Garden City Mall has a 3-acre central park, which is perfect for kids to run around, in and a Kid’s Playground and Water Playpark on tap! The mall also has a free Kid’s Club.
Limuru Road & Kitisuru:
- Under the Sea – Village Marke is a safe space for toddlers and preschoolers for their play dates, themed parties, and school trips. It’s a fun, engaging, and exciting place to grow your child’s fine and gross motor development activities. Under The Sea is the perfect way to develop their colorful imagination and their social and coordination skills. Under The sea includes Marine Mountain which is the main play area, interactive games, Kids Craft Workshop, and Love the Ocean program which is an environmental education program.
- Being a member of the Kids Corner at Westgate Mall entitles your child to amazing deals like: A Membership Card that lets them enjoy discounts of 10% on any goods purchased from Artworks from Africa and 20% off on goods purchased from Country Crafts; free interest-earning saving account with Stanbic Bank Limited; fun activities and offers; a celebration of your child’s milestones on their birthday and playtime at the Kid’s corner. Membership is open to kids up to 16 years old. A recent passport photo of your child and a one-time registration fee of Ksh 500 is required upon registration.
- Sarit Centre has amazing eateries with family and kid-friendly menus and enough space for a fun hangout for the entire family.
- CJ’s restaurant along Koinange Street offers a freat family-friendly menu
- Uhuru Park. Even Baba Amor agrees that the park offers a variety of child-friendly activities.
- The Museum offers a nice place for an educational weekend hangout. The kids will get to learn all about our history and enjoy learning about animals at the animal park that is located within the museum grounds. The museum also has a restaurant with a kid-friendly menu and is spacious enough for an outdoor hangout.
- Karura Forest is perfect for nature walks with the kids and provides an outdoor setting perfect for picnics as well.
Johnsons & Johnsons Gentle Baby Wipes are ideal for wiping their hands after eating or snacktime. Shop Now at The MumsVillageShop
- Carnivore is a haven for meat lovers! The restaurant is open-air and is perfect for family outings and picnics with a nice kids play area. The meat buffets are worth it.
- Animal Orphanage and Safari Walk are bound to be instant hits with the kids for as little as Kshs. 100.
- Galleria Shopping Mall has family-friendly restaurants such as Java and a kid’s play area as well
- Greenspan Mall in Donholm has a dedicated playground for the kids with fun rides and fun eateries with family-friendly menus.
- Eka Hotel. The Spurs Hotel here has a wonderful menu that the kids will definitely enjoy.
Ngong Road & Upperhill Area:
- Upperhill Springs restaurant– A Nairobi mum said “My child loves the bouncing castles and other entertainment. They have a great live band and the prices are fair”
Happy Exploring these Child-Friendly Places!
You may also like: