Other Articles from Chef Rose Mathieu
Chef Rose Mathieu Recipe : Spicy Mahamri
Finally, here it is. Mahamri-Coconut and cardamom doughnuts recipe from our Award winning chef that is easy to follow and will have you craving for more
Ingredients for the Mahamri
Ghee butter, coconut powder, all purpose flour, sugar, dry yeast, plain yogurt, cardamom and cooking oil.
- All purpose flour 750g ( 3 cups )
- coconut powder 200g ( 3/4 cup )
- sugar 150g ( 1/2 cup )
- cardamom 10g ( 1 Tsp)
- dry yeast 12g ( 1 Tsp )
- plain yogurt 12g ( 1 Tsp)
- ghee 25g ( 2 Tsps ) and
- lukewarm water 375g ( 1 1/2 cups )
Here are the easy steps
- Add all the dry ingredients in a bowl
- Use a whisk
- Mix well
- Add in the yogurt and ghee
- Whisk well to brake all clumps
- Add in the water little by little as you knead until you have a soft elastic dough that doesn’t stick on your fingers . Add more water if needed or flour if the dough is too sticky .
- Sprinkle your mixing bowl with a little flour and place your dough in. Sprinkle the dough with some flour and cover with a clean cloth (this step is important because the sprinkled flour helps to stop the dough from sticking on the bowl as it raises ) . Place the bowl in a warm dry place to allow the dough to raise and almost double in size . This might take up to one hour.
- The dough after resting and raising
- Cut the dough 6 or 7 equal parts
- Dough after cutting
- Form the dough into round balls
- Then cover and let the dough balls rest for 15 to 20 minutes
- The balls after raising
- Roll the balls, not too thin. ( It should be slightly thicker than Chapati ). Then cut across to end up with 4 equal parts like in the images.
- Roll out all the balls and cut into four
- This is the thickness you should have
- All cut
- Cover with a clean cloth and let them raise again for at-list 15 minutes
- Heat your oil on medium heat . Test with a pinch of dough to check if the oil is hot enough to cook the Mahamris . Drop the dough in the oil, if it raises to the surface straight away then the oil is ready for frying.
- When the oil is ready , drop the Mahamri dough in the oil slowly and away from you . Wait until the Mahamri swells and start turning brown on the edges and turn it on the other side
- Add in more one by one
- Turn them when the are ready
- Let the float on the oil surface after turning without pushing them in the oil to get that white Mahamris strip on its side.
- When they are cooked remove and set aside on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil . serve hot or cold. You can have them with tea or with coconut chickpeas ( Mbaazi ). When they are cooked, remove and set aside on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Serve hot or cold. You can have them with tea or with coconut chickpeas. (mbaazi).
For more of Chef Rose’s recipes visit her page and you can also visit the Baking Schools on our resource centre to learn how to whip up more of these delicacies.
You May Also Like:
5 Simple, Adaptable Goat Meat Dishes the Whole Family will Enjoy
Breakfast : 3 Easy Recipes you can try with your Child