5 Family Fun Activities in Nairobi

SLEEPOUT KENYA

Founded in June 2012 on the Indian Ocean island of Lamu, we provide a secure accommodation marketplace. www.sleepout.com

View Author Articles

So you thought the only fun you and the kids could have was when you went out of town? Think again. Nairobi has some great activities for fun family Staycations. Check out some of these top picks from our partners at Sleepout Kenya.

Oloolua nature walk

The little known Oloolua Nature Trail is a picturesque paradise located in the heart of Karen. The pathway offers those seeking to commune with nature a perfect place for camping, picnicking and hiking. The trail is located within the Oloolua Forest, a reserve that boasts of over 661 hectares of untouched land teeming with colourful butterflies, birdlife and forest woodland, wildlife includes primates. The scenery offers you the chance to enjoy the fresh clean air and a beautiful waterfall that drains into the Mbagathi River, a lush papyrus swamp, and a spooky natural cave.

family-fun-activities

Go Karting

Introduce yourself and your children to the thrills of the racetrack with Go Karting. Did you know that many renowned Formula One drivers started with Go Karting including Michael Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton and Kenya-based Quentin Mitchell?Go Karting is essentially track racing with small rear engine, four-wheeled go karts. It is an entertaining sport for individuals of different ages ranging from 10 years and above.

The sport has gained quite some popularity around the world and is one of the best and legal forms of amateur racing. Did you know that many renowned Formula One drivers started with Go Karting including Michael Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton and Kenya-based Quentin Mitchell?

Try out go karting in Langata next to Splash water world and Carnivore.

not the right dimensions but small enough to fit.No watermark yet

 

Ice Skating

You didn’t think ice skating on the equator was a thing? Think again. This is another sport that you have to try while in Nairobi. Ice skating is a great aerobic exercise that helps improve flexibility, endurance, and strength. Most importantly, however, is that the sport ensures that you and your child will have lots of fun together.

Every Wednesday from 9 to 10pm, the Kenyan Ice Hockey team even practices here and they’re always looking for cheerleaders and players!

The Panari Sky Centre on Mombasa Rd offers a great venue for this sport with an ice rink which one of its kind in East Africa, accommodating up to 200 skaters at a time ensuring there is enough space to glide, slide or perfect your skating skills.

Trainers are also available on site to get you started on a journey to fulfilling your dream of being a professional figure skater!

Horseback riding

If you are looking for a unique and pleasant activity for you and your kids, horseback riding will do just fine. Karura forest, Banana Hills and Langata are all popular spots where you can ride throughout the week.

When ready for a break, dismount and have a picnic at any of the forest rest stops as you enjoy wildlife and birdlife sightings.

You will get a chance to take in what nature has to offer as you ride through the Lenana Forest, Ngong and Olula Forests. When ready for a break, dismount and have a picnic at any of the forest rest stops as you enjoy wildlife and birdlife sighting.

For those who have little or no experience in horseback riding, stables will be available to help them out.

Hand feed a giraffe

AFEW Kenya, also known as Giraffe Centre off Langata South Road, has been, for a long time now, a home for breeding and rescuing of giraffes which are considered an endangered species in Kenya. The centre now offers a place where visitors can hand feed the world’s tallest animals.

Spend the day marveling at how blue and rough their tongues are, while the children enjoy getting a nice kiss on the cheek by these long-necked creatures. Make sure to also check-out the tortoises walking about nearby.

To book great deals and find unique accommodation in and around Nairobi, visit SleepOut. We’ve also got a great list of other activities in our Info Centre.

 

 

Comments

Please comment below

Leave a Reply

What Mums Think.

  1. I have only done 60% of these. I definitely need to complete the remaining 40% before mid-year. Thanks, great ideas.

You may also like