Oops! I’m Pregnant but Don’t Have Health Insurance
Kenya’s National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF) is a pregnant woman’s best friend – I will talk about pregnancy because that is what I have experience in as I have never needed it for any other reason.
If you are pregnant already and do not have NHIF, you can go register and as long as you have more than 3 months before delivery, they will cover the cost unlike other insurances where you cannot get maternity cover if you give birth within 10 months of acquiring the cover.
I know hospitals that as long as you have NHIF, you will pay Kshs 0.00 even though it turn out to be a Cesarean.
- Upon admission in hospital an NHIF member is accorded services and the hospital makes a claim to the Fund for reimbursement
- An in-patient cover for the contributor, declared spouse and children
- Provides comprehensive medical cover in majority of over 400 accredited Government facilities, Mission health providers and some private health providers across the country
- Provides in-patient services in private and high cost hospitals on a co-payment basis
- Comprehensive maternity and CS (Caesarean) package in government hospitals, majority of mission and some private hospitals
- Dialysis at Kenyatta National Hospital & Moi Teaching & Referral Hospital at a rebate
- Family planning – Vasectomy and Tubal Ligation
- NHIF does not exclude any disease.
In addition to the current benefits, under the proposed out-patient cover, members will enjoy the following benefits:
- Prescribed laboratory tests/investigations
- Prescribed X-rays and ultra sound diagnosis
- Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Treatment, dressing or diagnostic testing
- Family planning
- Ante-natal and post-natal care
- Clinical counseling services
- Health and wellness education
- General consultation with general practitioners
Formal sector employees’ contributions are deducted and remitted to the Fund by their employers. This is done by Cheque or through E-banking. For members under the voluntary category, they pay Kshs. 160 per month (Kshs. 1,920 per year). For those in formal employment, contributions are made as per their income.
NHIF registers all eligible members from both the formal and informal sector. For those in the formal sector, it is compulsory to be a member. For those in the informal sector and retirees, membership is open and voluntary. To register with NHIF fill in the Members Form or go to Huduma Centers.
Read more from Faith Mwaura at KenyanMums