Other Articles from Amanda Gicharu Kemoli
Carrot cake pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or cashew nuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Dash of ground cloves
- Dash of ground ginger
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup plain yoghurt (maziwa lala)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrot
- Butter or vegetable oil for cooking
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (through ginger) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and next 4 ingredients (through eggs); add sugar mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in the grated carrots.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Coat pan with butter or vegetable oil. Spoon 4 (1/4 cup) batter mounds onto pan, spreading with a spatula. Cook for 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over; cook 1 minute or until bottoms are lightly browned. Repeat procedure twice with remaining batter.
- Serve with real maple syrup or honey.