Other Articles from Amanda Gicharu Kemoli
Tasty Beef Stew
For the coldest July evenings, tuck into a rich beef stew with fluffy rice to warm you right down to your toes. You can combine the beef with vegetables of your choice. The more traditional peas, potatoes and carrots, or something different like courgettes, french beans, sweet corn or mushrooms. Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 1 hr 5 min Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- 450g beef, cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 small carrots, sliced
- 2 small courgettes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- In a medium pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil on medium-high heat. Add meat and cook until evenly browned, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Remove browned meat and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil then sauté onions and garlic for 2 minutes on low-medium heat. Add salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, allspice, Worcestershire sauce, beef stock cube, tomato puree and bay leaves. Mix well and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add browned meat and water. Cover and simmer on low-medium heat for 40 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Add carrots and courgettes. Cover and cook 20 minutes longer. To thicken gravy, remove 2 tablespoons hot liquid.
- Using a separate bowl, combine 1/3 cup water and cornflour until smooth. Mix with the removed hot liquid and return mixture to pot. Stir and cook for 2 – 3 minutes or until bubbly. Cover and turn off heat.
Read more of Amanda’s recipes on her blog: Amanda’s Kitchen .