Other Articles from Amanda Gicharu Kemoli
Banana Strawberry Muffins
Sometimes one can get bored of having the usual bread, mandazis or plain fruit for breakfast. Strawberry Banana Muffins are a delicious alternative. These muffins are moist, pretty, and they freeze really well.
Health Tip: Strawberries are nutrient-rich and packed with Vitamin C, a well-known immunity booster, as well as a powerful, fast-working antioxidant. Write a review Save Recipe Print Prep Time:15 min Cook Time:25 min Total Time:40 min
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- 2 1/4 cups (295 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the oven rack in the centre of the oven. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or lightly butter the muffin cups with a little vegetable oil.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter on low heat. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract and mashed banana. Add the melted butter and stir to combine.
- In another large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Gently fold in the berries and chocolate chips (if using), making sure they are coated with flour (tip: this helps to prevent the berries from sinking during baking). Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are just combined (tip: do not over mix the batter or your muffins will harden).
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Can be stored for a few days at room temperature.