Other Articles from Amanda Gicharu Kemoli
Spinach Lasagne : The Ultimate Comfort Food
This Meat-Free recipe offers a lighter version of a classic Italian dish. The creamy spinach lasagne has a mild flavour that can be enjoyed by both adults and kids. If you like a little more or less spice, you can alter the pepper amounts to your liking.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups of finely chopped spinach
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper / Spanish Paprika
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 12 sheets cooked lasagna noodles, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion; cook 10 minutes or until onion is browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and spinach. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 3 minutes or until spinach is tender. Set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, milk, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add 2 cups milk mixture to spinach mixture. Cover remaining milk mixture, and set aside.
- Spread 1/2 a cup of marinara sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish evenly coated with olive oil. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over the sauce; top with half of spinach mixture. Top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1 cup of marinara sauce, and 3/4 cup of cheese. Layer 3 more lasagna noodles, remaining spinach mixture, and remaining 3 lasagna noodles. Top with remaining marinara sauce. Pour reserved milk mixture over the top, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 180°C for 50 minutes or until lasagna is browned on top.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
Now you have a reason for a date night-in or a family dinner on the weekend!!